Sunday, October 19, 2008

Indonesian Appeal

I had an encounter yesterday which made me feel like I'm a maid....

I was crossing the traffic junction near my block when a maid walking in front of me suddenly turned back and talked to me…. She was holding a little piece of crumpled paper and she showed it to me. On 1st look, it was all in Chinese, neat and rigid Chinese characters are staring at my face. I had not read for a long long time. The words are written in Chinese one packet of minced meat kway teow with extra chilli and vinegar.
Her: (with Indonesian accent) you think this one right or not?
She holded her plastic bag and opened it for me to see.
I stared at the piece of crumpled paper for 5 seconds before replying. I looked into the bag, it seems like laksa to me…..
Me: No ah, this one wrong…
She looked panicky and took out the whole bag of noodles for me to see again… Oh, it’s my mistake, it’s really minced meat noodles just that it covered by chilli till it looked like laksa
Me: Oh, this one correct… Nodded repeatedly
She: Right ah…. She heaved a sigh of relief. Me 3 months here only, scared employer scold me ah….
I smiled awkwardly and tried to walk off, but our path still met through the blocks.
She: Where you come from?
Thinking to myself, I’m an authentic SGD citizen, don’t I look like it? Thinking back, I just had a session of swimming and tanning which made me looked a bit back…
Me: I’m from Singapore!
She: You married ah?
Me: Shaking my head profusely.
She You working ah?
Me: Yes.
She: Where you live?
Me: pointing to my block….
Before she asked further question and make me irritated, I slipped into 7-11 and she bade me goodbye.