I was shopping here and there for YJ and JX Xmas present and her housewarming gift. Other than that, I wanted so much to get myself a jacket in case of the cold weather there, but Mum said to buy everything and anything there coz everything must be crazily cheap there... I keep unpacking and repacking so as to pack everything in nicely and neatly...
16 Dec: Singapore - Hanoi
0545-1130
I woke up early to catch the early flight. The cabbie saw my loitering at my block with a big luggage, he was aiming at me already, horned to get my attention though I was reluctant to get on his red cab. Reached the budget terminal about 15 minutes later, surprised to find many people gathering at the airport despite the wee hours of the morning! Waited for a long time to check in my luggage before shopping at the immigration area. Had breakfast and bought souvenirs for YJ. Tiger Airways stewardesses were prim and proper and neatly but causally dressed. My seat was occupied by a old man, luckily the stewardess was there to direct him to his correct seat. My seat was half covered by the wings but yet I could see the view as well!
The flight took about 3 hours and I was asleep most of the time. Reached Hanoi airport, but the weather was rather cold, cleared the immigration counter quickly but the luggage claim was horrible.... They have only 1 conveyor belt operating at the airport, but with passengers of 3 flights waiting anxiously and impatiently around the conveyor belt. It took me an hour and a half to collect my luggage, and YJ waited so long for me to clear the scanning system and exit the arrival hall! She kept calling me on my mobile to asked where I was. We were just a wall apart.... We gave each other a hug after meeting this lovely friend of mine.1130-1730
Hai drove us to meet JX at his office, where we had lunch at Au Lac Garden Cafe. I had my 1st taste of Vietnamese dish, grilled pork and noodles in a broth! It was deliciously yummilious!!!! We went to YJ's apartment after lunch where Toshi gave a warm welcome, he barked and barked and dived all over the living room. I gave him a advanced xmas present and he played with it happily. I started unpacking and napped before proceeding out for dinner.
1730-2000
Hai picked us up at the apartment before we meet JX again to have dinner. They recommended dinner at Quan An Ngon which serves Viet food in the lush courtyard among potted trees under a large canvas marquis, and it's hawker style. The night was extremely chilly and we were exposure to the wind and had steamboat! Even the tea turned cold after a short while!
The pork kebabs, i don't know the Viet name.... Was it bun or bong or something..... it's a must try!!!
This is Viet steamboat! It's hot and boiling, but once anything is removed from the cooking pot! It has become cold almost instantly!
Viet dishes has a wide variety of leaves, don't know what kind of leaves is that.....

2000-0000
We head back home to see Toshi wagging its tail happily. It's time for bed, good night folks!
17 Dec: Hanoi City
0730-1500
A city tour to know Hanoi in a day, many places, many cultures, many differences
Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum (Closed on mondays and fridays)
We didn't go it because it was a friday, it features Ho Chi Minh where his body rested in peace....

Ho Chi Mini Presidential House
Presidential place was located next to the mausoleum, and it feature the living environment with a few cars in there!

One Pillar Pagoda
The pagoda was built on one pillar only, the staircase was a built-on extension.

Bat Trang
It was about an hour or so drive away from Hanoi city. We watch how pottery was done and everything in the shop was just fragile!! I wanted to buy a set of teapot which was about USD50. I swallowed my saliva and left....

Hoam Kiem Lake
I vaguely remembered the story of this lake, a golden turtle and a sword..... The temple inside also feature a golden turtle showcase. It was a lake with no waves, make a perfect photo with the reflection!


Temple of Literature
YJ told me that the locals will read this as "temple of little rachel"
It is indeed a big temple with large courtyards and I got my postcards there as a cheap price! The temple house a statue of Confucius and the courtyards had many turtles graveyards which carved many names, most are the names of scholars!

West Lake
Locals loved to hang out there and chat, water was very calm and also perfect for a photo! It has one of the oldest pagoda there. We witnessed a wake procession taking place in the temple.

Had dinner at Highway4 restaurant, a chic restaurant before returning home for a rest. Viet houses are built in such a way that they are long and narrow. We had clams which was flavourful, pork ribs, prawns, tofu and susu.... We told a cab back home and rested for the day. Back at home, YJ was so thoughtful that she baked a nice cake till early morning.
18 Dec
Morning
Had YJ TLC cake before heading to Ha Dong's Silk Village. The 3 of us boarded a Tucson together with the tour guide and the driver. The road was extremely narrow for the Tucson that it has to chop off its ears; the side mirror!!! haha ..... We watched the silk making process before buying silk and related products. We went around haggling before making any purchases. It was rather cheap though.



Afternoon
Lunch again at Quan An Ngon but with different dishes! YJ told me to try the Pho Ga (chicken glass noodles) as it was an authentic Viet dish. The soup was delicious with a tinge of chicken taste and the garnishes was generous!

Headed to the wholesale market at Dong Xuan market for shopping. Whatever you name, they have it! It's also a place where YJ purchase some hair accessories to be sold at her Grandma's shop. Things there can be really cheap after a fierce struggle of bargaining! YJ recommend me to buy some preserved fruits, another local delicacy, I bought and paid at the cashier, the cashier said sixteen dong, I counted and gave sixteen dong exactly, the cashier said sixteen dong again.... I was confused, YJ came over and asked the cashier how much, the cashier said sixteen dong for the third time, I handed over the stack of bills I was holding to YJ, she paid sixty dong. I had a good laugh coz of the communication breakdown! Retire for half of the day before venturing out for dinner again.
Dinner
The couple discussed and decided on our itinerary for the night. We went shopping for groceries at Metro before having dinner at Al'fresco, a westernised restaurant which serves good jumbo ribs! Metro was a big warehouse supermarket which do not provide plastic bags, we had to bring our own plastic bags, and YJ suggested I get my souvenirs from Metro. Things like toothbrushes which was sold in dozens and coffee powder which was dainty and small packaged was cool enough to be stuffed into my luggage! Al'fresco was located at a one way street which is very isolated! During dinner, JX was joking about only having enough money to pay for the bill and not for the cab back home and that we had to hire motor taxi to ferry us home with our hand carry groceries. The ribs was simply delicious and bigger than the diameter of my face!
19-20 Dec
Armed with my tripod, I'm off to Halong Bay, UNESCO World Heritage Site. Felt extremely welcomed by the crew on board Bhaya when they showered rose petals from the deck above, was served international lunch buffet and visited a floating village that sells pearl. Captured lots of photographic memories on the sundeck before getting ready for the sumptuous set dinner. Went for a back massage before retiring for the day. The cabin was cozy and luxurious, I have it all to myself but at a hefty price.... wahaha.... Selfish soul....
Woke up to see the sunrise and practise taichi on the sundeck, but the sunrise was dampen by the foggy skies... Had a light breakfast before venturing to the Surprise Cave... Surprise Cave is indeed full of surprises and I just went snap snap snap....
The sun had just rose and the junk boat in the midst of the ocean.
They just rowed their sampans close to ours and shouted 1 dollar 1 dollar..... Haha.... I'm not conned coz they cost more than a dollar, be it chips or coke....
Back on board for brunch before going back to the pier....
The journey from Halong Bay to Hanoi was a long way and no matter how many times I fell asleep and awoke, I still had not reached back to YJ apartment. Rushed to watch the water puppet show at the old quarters in Hai's car as he was holding on to the ticket. After the show, I strolled along the old quarters on my own before YJ came from her apartment and we went to meet JX at his office. Had dinner at Wild Lotus where YJ was so fascinated by the red-ress of the roses! It's a posh restaurant as the bill came up to millions of dong!
21 Dec
Boarded the flight at 11am Hanoi time to come back, felt sick on board the flight but endured with it till the flight landed, guess it's got to do with the temperature difference... Went to the doc and thankfully I was insured with travel insurance.
I really enjoyed myself during this time, really thankful to the hospitable Lee couple, welcoming me with open hands to stay with them in their apartment and Toshi for welcoming me with four hands. The scenic Halong Bay, the everything also have Dong Xuan market and the cheap and real silk in Ha Dong village and hating the horning and horny roads that never dies till the late night or early morning! Hip hip Hanoi!!!!





