Monday, September 06, 2010

Confessions of a consumer

Some years back, I purchased a brand new printer after some serious considerations and market research. The ink head is always changed with the new ink cartridge, which is one of the functions that I liked. Till today, my printer malfunctioned, it couldn't be switched on and yet I had a surplus storage of brand new ink cartridges. I called the service centre and talked to a person whom doesn't sound like a local, I explained the problem to him and he reverted a solution which made me dumbfounded, I was actually asked to DISPOSE the unit or to trade-in for a brand new unit at a lower price. They said they do not repair this particular model of mine as they had no spare parts left.

A few days later, I racked my brain trying to think of better solutions rather that the one that he proposed, I surfed their company website and to my surprise, they still have my model on their website, which means they are still selling it!!! It is just unbelievable, I just wanted to get my unit repaired and yet they have no spare parts but still sell this model on the world wide web. I was devastated....

Just now, I made another call to the customer service centre and re-told my story again, to make sure that they have gave the most appropriate advice. A lady whom had a strange accent, and I also reckoned she's not a local attended to me. Curious, I deliberately asked for a Chinese speaking operator, she actually said something like the call was traced out of Singapore and there is NO Chinese speaking operator!!! Ok fine!!! I told her my problem again, she also said the same to me, to dispose and trade in a brand new unit. I questioned her, that the company is still selling this unit, how come they don't have a spare part for repair. She replied subtly that they don't actually provide repair service to MY printer model! I retorted and asked, do they actually PROVIDE any printer repair, she said yes! but not for my model. I was so angry and hung up on her.

My printer was quite new with little usage only! And yet it's now being obsolete! I can't do anything to revive my printer because I still have lots of surplus new ink cartridges, it's really disheartening!